Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Some glimpses...

Two weeks and I have been to two states, Gujarat and Rajasthan-despite the fact that I have been in each of these cities for exactly 2 days each. But its been fun nevertheless and here are some things I saw and was in no little measure, amused by.

I am at Mumbai Central and I have been walking for half hour looking for a place to surf the internet. I have been walking around looking for a place to browse or surf but I was met with indifferent stares and grouchy mumbles when I ask people around me and suddenly in the distance I saw a sign board-"ComComputer One; your search ends here" and I felt relieved that at last some place where I could, if not browse, atleast ask them about the nearest browsing centre and won't be cast away like flotsam. So I walk in with a triumphant air and ask the person in-charge- "Is there a browsing centre nearby?" and he quipped back-"Bole to?" I gave a sardonic smile and walked away.

There is an old couple walking towards me, the first thing I notice about them is the frown on their faces. They seem like a South Indian couple and aged approximately 55-60 years. They are looking in separate directions with a distinct huff on their faces that would indicate to any person who cares to see that they have just had a tiff. As I walk towards them thinking what they must have fought about, I notice it in the end as we cross each other. They were holding hands and walking. Could not help but smile.

I decide to have dinner before I go back to the station to catch my train and so I begin to look out for restaurants. There were a number of restaurants around but I don't stop until I see the perfect place to try. I step into the hotel purely intrigued by its name- Punjabi Ghasitaram Halwai Karachiwala. I am thinking what made its owners give it that name-could it be that the name had a historical slant to it and did the Punjabi in the name refer to the one in India or in Pakistan. I finish eating and go to wash and see a cockroach scurry away from under one of the plates kept for cleaning. Raised eyebrows.

Footpaths are a horrible invention of mankind, I mean I have just finished eating and I walk up the footpath and then down and then up and then down. I get sick of this and my stomach is tired of this exercise. I would rather walk on the road even if there is the added danger involved. Then I notice the name of a bus stop- Dr. Bhaydarkar Naka Marg and I think this seems like the perfect name for a scary bed time story for your 5 year old. Just opposite to that is Hotel Park Shilton. I cringe.

I am 5 minutes away from the station and I decide on a whim that I would like a paan because its been so long since I had one. So I ask the paan vendor for one sweet paan and he laboriously prepares it-adding all the ingredients and I stand there waiting restlessly until I see that its almost the size of a burger and he says just pop it in. I push the paan in slowly and for about a minute struggle with it in my mouth. There are 4 people around me who are smiling at my predicament but I stick to it and in 5 minutes, its gone. I walk away.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you ask me, there's no place like Chennai. I've been to Mumbai on many occasions and it just seems to be getting worse all the time.
Just a quick comment here. Saraansh, I must say your English is very,very good. It's plain simple,good English with the perfect choice of words.:-):-)
Anyways,enjoy your trip and take care.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Saraansh said...

Dear Anonymous,
There is no place like Chennai but to tell you the truth there is no place like Mumbai either. Its an amazing city if you are the kind who can just step back a little and observe and not get caught up in its hurtling pace.

8:39 PM  
Blogger johnny boy said...

hehe... Good one.. I can imagine youo with the pan just about fitting in your mouth :)
In chennai, before you put the pan in your mouth, it'll be down your throat ;) (thats how small these ppl make it) ... :D

8:01 AM  
Blogger Vinay said...

speaking of paan, i miss the paan waala outisde hotel Ganpat on NH road. Whenever we folks go out for dinner or somethin, we make it a point to pay him a visit no matter how late in the night it is. Do try it out soemtime :)

and just FYI this guy has a house in Annanager and another one in T-Nagar and he sells legitimate paan :-D

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whew!

11:56 PM  
Blogger Ram Subramanian said...

hey maaru... nice post, really enjoyed reading it. Hope life is treating you well.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Kanishkaa said...

Ur posts on Mumbai come in handy for me.a nice preview for a guy about to relocate soon.the challenge is mainly getting used to the pace of the city above all else.
btw, u have a tendancy to spell it as 'Ahemdabad'. any reason why?

1:56 AM  
Blogger Saraansh said...

Kanishka
No particular reason to spell it wrong-its just that I commit the crime of spelling it the way I speak it. Will take care of it the next time.

When are you moving to Mumbai and how come?

Vinay: and he sells legitimate paan :-D

I haven't heard of anything such as an illegitimate paan.

Rama, Life is treating me just fine :-)

5:43 AM  
Blogger Kanishkaa said...

I have been transferred to the Mumbai office.will be there early Jan.hope to c u there.cheers

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home