Saturday, October 14, 2006

Week one in Melbourne

Day 6 completed in Melbourne. I have been swamped with questions about how I am doing and for some reason I have been strangely ambivalent about it. Its a beautiful city from both a purist and a yupee's point of view. If the State Victoria Library and the National Gallery of Victoria will cause a purist immense satisfaction, Chappel street and Lygon Street are the yuppies' manna. I think I have been caught somewhere between this. As I took a half hour walk from St. Kilda Road to my apartment on Swanston street, the weather turned unexpectedly cold and yet the biting wind did wonders to my spirits. Reached the bridge across the Yarra river to find drunk 18 years olds sliding along an architectural sculpture placed on the side. It seemed like the entire Swanston street was drunk and after a while I think even I reveled in their drunken state. It was infectious of sorts.

So there I am huffing and puffing on my way up Swanston and four drunk women are walking in my direction. Suddenly one of them takes a scarf and the other one holds it across and I am supposed to walk my way below it the way belly dancers do. Amusing they found it, only if they knew about my hernia.

I am home now; not knowing what tomorrow will bring and not sure if I want to think of today. So I am going to do the best thing possible in these circumstances. Sleep!

1 Comments:

Blogger Dilip D'Souza said...

Yo, I missed this! When did you move to Melbourne? This is the emigration come thru? Now I'll have to come out there to look you up! Send me a note with your correct email? I am assuming the hexaware one don't work no more?

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home